The Sheridan Fire District is located in the West Valley along Hwy 18. We serve a population of 8,000 across 103 square miles including the city of Sheridan and the communities of Buell and Ballston. Our department has about sixty members, nine career staff, six college students, five high school students, and just over thirty volunteer firefighters. We also have the Sheridan Fire Auxiliary made up of fifteen community members and the Honories which is made up of about ten retired members of our district.
Sheridan Fire Department began in 1886 as part of the city of Sheridan. It served a population of approximately 200 people and about forty square miles to include the city of Sheridan and the farming community around it. As the city has grown and the surround area has become more populated the Fire Department transitioned away from a city department to a special district, not limited by the city boundaries and becoming a separate entity from the city all together.
Today we serve and protect a population of over 10,000 people, not including the thousands of people a day who travel through our district. Sheridan Fire District now covers 103 square miles made up of forest land, farm land and the communities of Sheridan, Buel and Ballston.